This Shiraka programme course is designed for civil servants working in the field of local governance. It aims to share knowledge and skills enabling them to lead and inspire the modernization of local governance in their home countries. The course also aims to strengthen participants’ ties with the Netherlands and the Dutch government; especially between Dutch civil servants and their counterparts in the target countries.
The training programme will have a practical and interactive character. This is in line with the objective to share knowledge and strengthen the cooperation between the civil servants of the participating countries.
The programme will stimulate much participant interaction and is built around three balanced, mutually supportive and integrated components, namely:
- Main concepts and elements of decentralisation processes
- Practical skills such as negotiation skills
- Study visits to Dutch governmental bodies
Social programmes such as the welcome dinner, the networking reception and other social activities will facilitate network development between the participants from the various countries as well as between the participants and their Dutch counterparts.
- Increasing awareness of and knowledge exchange between policy and decision-makers at national and sub-national government level working on issues related to decentralization and local governance;
- Participants will have sufficient knowledge of decentralization processes, to implement and coordinate these in their countries;
- Participants will be aware of the importance of good local governance and will have insight in the elements that contribute to effective inter-administrative relations;
- Participants will be able to assess the level of decentralization in their country and will have made an action plan to further support good governance on a local level
Upon completion of the training, participants will:
- Have a thorough understanding of the basic concepts of decentralization and multilevel governance;
- Have insight into the way decentralization and local governments function in The Netherlands;
- Be able to use the acquired knowledge and best practices as a source of inspiration for dealing with challenges related to decentralization policies in their own countries; and
- Be trained in the practical application of process management, change management, and various practical skills;