Since 1997, the Philippine Government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) underwent series of peace negotiations to end conflict in Mindanao. After almost two decades, the peace negotiations ended through the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro (CAB) signed by both parties in 2014. The CAB paved way to the creation of a new self-governing political entity named as the Bangsamoro region in replacement to the existing Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao (ARMM). In support of the CAB, several versions of its law were drafted and deliberated at the House of the Representatives and Senate.
Until last July 26, 2018, Republic Act no. 11054 or also known as the Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL), was enacted into law. Through the BOL, a political entity named as the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) shall be established with an autonomy to pursue its political, economic, social and cultural development in the exercise of its right to self-governance. MILF shall be leading the interim government BTA (Bangsamoro Transition Authority) of the autonomous region until elections for the Bangsamoro government in 2022.
The Hague Academy for Local Governance, together with De La Salle University, has been contracted by the Dutch Mission to Bangsamoro to deliver a Public Policy training to 70 MILF representatives, among which many young MILF leaders who will be the future members of the BARMM bureaucracy. Through this training programme, it is expected that the participants will acquire necessary skills and competencies in formulating and communicating responsive and high-impact policies. The training programme entails two times four training days with a two-month period in between to implement policy research activities. The project runs between 2018 and 2019
At the end of the training programme, the participants are able to:
- Appreciate the significance of policies and policy development;
- Understand inclusiveness, transparency, accountability and integrity as the basic values of good governance;
- Gain knowledge and understanding of al steps in the public policy process and related thematic areas;
- Acquire skills in policy problem analysis and stakeholder mapping, policy negotiation and development which shall positively impact on the Bangsamoro Transition Authority government.
- Two 8-day trainings
- 70 Moro Islamic Liberation Front members trained
- Policy problem analysis in different sectors.
De La Salle University